Sunday, March 10, 2013

Presbyterian group sends volunteers to rebuild homes from wildfires in Texas


Today, at a special service at the Trinity Presbyterian Church in Arlington VA, I did pick up a flyer describing volunteer relief efforts to rebuild homes destroyed by wildfires in 2011 in Bastrop County, Texas, east of Austin. 

I’ll give the link of the supporting PCUSA ministry, here

The flyer discusses the volunteers’ living at “Faith Village” near Smithville, TX.
  
I have a posting and my own photos of my own visit to the Bastrop County area on Nov. 17, 2011 here.  
  
The flyer is interesting right now because Friday night I saw the film “Greedy Lying” about climate change, 
which presented the horror of the Colorado Springs fires in 2012 (movie reviews, March 8).

The sermon, by Pastor Judith Fulp-Eickstaedt, “A Place Called Gilgal”, discussed the possibility of someone’s or some group’s becoming complacent in its illusion of “self-sufficiency” when reaching a supposedly better or safer place (“Gilgal” in the Promised Land). 
  
I guess with climate change, we can’t afford to become complacent about any location. And more places are going to seem less safe than they did. 

No comments: