Saturday, January 10, 2015

NBC4 holds annual Health Expo in Washington DC, with a simulated Nationals game


Today, I reviewed the annual NBC4 Health Expo in Washington DC, in the lower level of the Convention Center (north building), as usual, at the Mt. Vernon Square Metro Stop (Green and Yellow lines).
  
I didn’t get to meet any of the personalities this time;  there was a long line for people wanting to try out to be in a commercial.  
  

The most immediately important exhibit was that of reducing lead exposure in older homes, especially if children are living in them.  It’s easy to imagine a similar booth for asbestos.  Many older homes in the DC area (build up through the 1950s) could have these issues without having ever been tested.  They can be issues when homes are sold or rented, but probably not for older citizens living in them as “empty nesters” after retirement.  Lawyers (and at least one sales person at Home Depot) have told me that it’s better not to open this “pandora’s box” until one has to.
  

The Washington Nationals had trailer, with a video game inside.  A couple of kids were playing the Washington Nationals at Boston Red Sox (they do play in 2015), with the Nats batting first.  Boston was leading 10-3 in the sixth.  The game would simulate the results of a bat hitting a pitched ball based on Newtonian physics.  This sounds like a good science fair project, or maybe one for a high school physics class.  One problem, though, was that if Washington was the visiting team, they should have used the template for Fenway Park in Boston rather than Nationals Park.  (Although in 2013, the Miami Marlins were the home team in Seattle when their own stadium was not available.) 

There were a lot of home improvement booths.
  
  
But the Red Cross had a blood donation booth (I don’t think the policy change for gay men is in effect yet), and there was an organ donation booth, as well as glaucoma, diabetes, and prostate testing stations. 
  

There was a home fire safety demonstration, with a simulation of the possibility that worn surge protectors or particularly cheaper power strips are capable of causing fires if overloaded.  Such a fire recently happened in Alexandria.   
  

Prince Georges County has a “pink” fire engine.


No comments: