Saturday, July 18, 2015

A visit to a state Libertarian Party reception


This evening, I attended a reception with hors d’oeuvres at the headquarters of the Libertarian Party of Virginia on Duke Street in Old Town Alexandria, VA.
  

I haven’t been associated with anything “partisan” at all since returning from Minnesota in 2003.  I had been somewhat active with the Libertarian Party of Minnesota, doing ballot access petitioning on the streets in 1998.
  
I had been to LPVA conventions in Richmond and Manassas back in the 1990s.  I had met Harry Browne a few times.
  

Recall that in the middle 2000’s, there was a controversy over whether political blogging could be considered a “campaign contribution”, and that problem essentially “blew over” (but see this explanation (on my “do ask do tell notes” Wordpress blog, Feb. 13, 2014, here.)
     

I met Arvin Vohra, who has run as a candidate from Maryland, and who runs a company that provides specialized education services (link ) which might complement the Khan Academy.  I asked how he thought the “uninsurable” could get health care in a libertarian society (without “Obamacare” presumably) and he suggested that one of the biggest problems is the regulations on foreign doctors (which corresponds the tech industry’s concerns about restrictions on importing skilled engineers, which Mark Zuckberberg has often addressed).
   

I found it curious that the LPVA needs to have a “business license” from the City of Alexandria, which it displays. 
   

I had learned about the reception by serendipity, when I went to the Arlngton Gay and Lesbian Alliance brunch at Freddie's today in South Arlington. 


No comments: