Thursday, November 19, 2015

United HealthCare may leave ObamaCare exchanges


One of the nation’s largest private health insurers, United HealthCare, announced that it may leave the ObamaCare exchanges after 2016, because of poor financial results from Exchange business, apparently due to subtle anti-selection and serving sicker patients.  There is a story on “The Hill” today.
 

 
United HealthCare provides my own Supplementary Part B coverage for Medicare, and was my insurer for retiree health insurance from ING.  I found that the company always paid claims properly and I never had an issue at all.  Furthermore, with my one outpatient surgery in 2010, it appeared that the negotiated discount had a big effect on base price.  The company does seem to have an influence making health care cheaper for its largest corporate clients.

No comments: