Monday, January 11, 2016

New York Times discusses race in Minneapolis, a "Blue State" progressive city where popular conception does not expect to find issues


I lived in Minneapolis from 1997 to 2003, 72 months, so the New York Times article today by John Eligon “Minneapolis’s Less Visible, and More Troubled Side”,  attracted by attention, as an article about a Blue State boom town.

Minneapolis has been, by popular vernacular, in the past been publicly considered one of America’s “whitest cities”, but the problems in some communities, including Somali, have gotten press attention since I left.   (The issue of possible recruitment by radical Islam locally got very little attention in the papers even after 9/11 while I was there.  Also, employment by skilled people from India and Pakistan in corporate technology jobs was common, and never attracted any particular attention, as had also been the case in Dallas when I lived there in the 80s.)  The newspaper article concerns mostly the North Minneapolis area, but the Philips neighborhood got attention when I was there.



The city seems a lot safer than Washington DC. I lived in the Churchill Apartments, a high rise on Marquette and First Street, on the Skyway, all six years
 
I didn’t see a reaction on the Star Tribune page.  The main conservative think tank there is the Center for the American Experiment which has invited John Stossel and speakers from the Cato Institute before.

I worked for ING-ReliaStar from 1997 to the end of 2001, and the company presented many progressive programs in its headquarters on Washington Ave.  One of them (which I attended) was a presentation of a book by local author Deborah Watts in 1999, "101 Ways to Know You're 'Black' in Corporate America".

No comments: