Picture: Mineral, VA shortly after Aug. 2011 quake, near Twin Oaks.
Friday, December 30, 2011
Thursday, December 29, 2011
Here's another thing: faulty (or worn) surge protectors are said to be fire hazards. This has been reported since the 1990s. Here's a Consumer Watch story. It's a good idea to replace them every few years.
Picture: The "Hot Sticks" were purchased at a 7/11 before a 2010 blizzard, before the generator. The chimney actually had some damage from the earthquake in August, about $3000 in repairs.
What about smoke detectors? Yes -- have them as part of your security system. (I had one in Dallas send false alarms in 1987, though.) Sprinklers? I'd be afraid they would go off on false alarms and do property damage. But I had one in New York City as early as 1974 without problems. It wasn't a choice in a rental.
Wednesday, December 28, 2011
Monday, December 26, 2011
Sunday, December 25, 2011
Thursday, December 22, 2011
Wednesday, December 21, 2011
Tuesday, December 20, 2011
Publication of results on H5N1 virus creation: government jawbones scientific journals into restraint on publication; some say experiment should not have been done, leak of virus to public is inevitable
Update: Dec. 27
The New York Times today has a story (by Denise Grady and Donald G. McNeil, Jr.) on the debate over the experiments having even been done, let alone the idea of publication, because the virus will inevitably "get out". What makes this virus more dangerous is that it is transmissible person-to-person as well as bird-to-person. It says possession of the virus needs to be restricted so that at least it cannot get out as "soon".
Wikipedia attribution link for comparative diagram (H1N1 v H5N1).