Friday, June 06, 2014

Faith-based alternatives to Obamacare may require personal contact, attention among beneficiaries


Faith-based opponents of the Patient Protection and Affordable Care Act (“Obamacare”) have been forming voluntary faith-oriented alternative insurance cooperatives, which sometimes meet the requirements for insurance and would preclude the fine of the ACA. The front page story in the Washington Post by Sandhya Somashekjar, link is titled “Opponents of health law turn to faith-based alternative plans”.  George W. Bush would love it.
   
Many cooperatives do not cover items that some groups consider objectionable, such as contraception.  Some purchasers have said they resent covering other people’s contraception or behavior.  And some will not cover injuries or illnesses caused by what they see as misbehavior.  Would that include HIV?  I recall that point being made informally in the early days of the AIDS epidemic.
    
Some cooperatives, such as one in Illinois, mandate that members pay other members in need directly for medical bills, rather than to a central processing facility, almost defeating the concept of insurance.



Update: June 7, 2014 

Last night I saw "The Last Days of Judas Iscariot" at the Forum-Round House Theater in Silver Spring, MD, which I reviewed on the Drama Blog. I wanted to note that an actor Frank Britton was assaulted in the area on Colesville Road after the first performance.  On my review there, I give the Crowdfunding link for a collection for his medical bills.   So this incident certainly provides an example of the "direct sharing" of expenses noted above (as with the plan in Illinois, particularly). 

We can ask, of course, should be the person have arranged to insure himself with the Affordable Care Act?  Some actors and artists unions do offer health insurance.  In this case, for whatever, reason, the "system" didn't work for him.  He was uninsured, apparently,   I can't say how I will respond personally; I have my own regular giving program which I manage through a bank and trust, so I generally don't respond to separate calls, unless I can process it that way, but some of this could change in the future as I might need to use Crowdfunding for my own or related projects.   

I don't like the idea of people "sacrificing" to pay other people's bills after crimes.  But if you look at street crime as sometimes a kind of civil war or class war (as Noam Chomsky writes), it comes out differently.  I do know that without forgiveness, we wind up paying for other people's sins and crimes anyway.   


No comments: